Wisconsin Community Unites; National Call to Action for Sikh Americans
In response to the tragic shooting massacre that took place this past Sunday, the Oak Creek, Wisconsin community united, and held a vigil to pay respects and honor the victims of the shooting. SALDEF Executive Director Jasjit Singh, along with Sikh Coalition Director of Programs Amardeep Singh, jointly addressed this large gathering of the Sikh and non-Sikh communities of Wisconsin. The vigil, a moving show of strength and resolve, was attended by over 2,000 community members and dignitaries including the Governor of Wisconsin, Scott Walker, US Congressman, Paul Ryan, and US Attorney for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, James Santelle. During the vigil, which was interfaith in nature, a prayer was read by the Chaplain from the Salvation Army followed by ardaas.
Read more about the vigil here: Thousands Show Support for Sikhs (Brookfield Patch)
In the past few days we have seen an outpouring of support from community members across the county. We’ve also heard the many requests from community members looking for ways to show and provide support to our extended sangat in Wisconsin. To that end, SALDEF urges the community to get involved and provides you four ways to do that.
1. PARTICIPATE in the National Day of Remembrance and Solidarity today, August 8th, by attending a vigil being held in your area. Click here for a list of vigils occurring across the United States. Also invite your non-Sikh neighbors, colleagues, and friends to attend.
2. TAKE PART in the Moment of Reflection on Sunday, August 12th, when gurdwaras, churches, mosques, synagogues and community centers across America will take a moment to reflect on the tragedy, send a message of blessings for all people, and stand united against hate and intolerance, as part of a common humanity and one unified nation.
3. SUPPORT the victims, the injured police officer, and their families by donating to the Victims Fund. All contributions are tax-deductible. The funds will be used to defray the costs of medical bills, funeral expenses, psychological counseling and sustaining the lives of the widowed. To donate, please go to http://www.indiegogo.com/Milwaukee-Sikh and Contribute Now!
4. SHARE information with your communities and educate them about Sikhs. Below are a few resources you can use.
Now is the time to come together as a united Sikh sangat and to live in the true spirit of chardhi-kalaa. We should all look to the Wisconsin community, and the remarkable resolve and character that they have displayed, as examples of this spirit.
- SALDEF Graduates Second Class of Leadership Development Program
- SALDEF Applauds FBI Decision to Track Hate Crimes Against Sikhs
- TAKE ACTION: Tell your Senators to End Racial Profiling!
- May Advocate